Skip to content Sitemap

Top 3 Causes of Apartment Fires and How to Avoid Them

decorating your apartment for winter

 

Top 3 Causes of Apartment Fire and How to Avoid it

Fire is one of the most disastrous things to happen to any home. Once it has started, it can be deadly and looks for fuel to continue devastating the properties. The hungry flames can devour the house quickly and have no respect for anything in its path. However, most residential fires, unlike wildfires, can easily be prevented. Let’s see the top 3 causes of apartment fires and how to avoid them.

Be careful with the burning burners

The stove is often the source of many home fires. Pots can overheat and can catch fire on things around the area such as dishtowels and other flammable items. A significant cause of fire in the kitchen is when you leave your stove unattended while you are cooking. Always keep an eye on your stove when it’s on; a close attended pot never boils over or catches fire. Always keep flammable items, such as paper towels, well away from the stove, so there’s no chance of them catching a flame.

Why take a chance on being devastated by a kitchen fire when there are ways to prevent it? You only need to practice good safety habits in the kitchen, and it is unlikely that you’ll need to call 911

To ensure safety cooking, be sure to follow these guidelines:

•Do not leave your kitchen if you are cooking so you can quickly respond in the event of a flare-up.

•If you are baking or roasting, check your food regularly and use a timer to monitor your cooking.

•Put metal objects away from the microwave.

•Take care when lighting a pilot light or a burner.

•Avoid filling pots too full to prevent grease or oil spills.

•Gently heat cooking oil to your desired temperature.

•If you smell the oil or see wisps of smoke, take the pot away from the stove; smoke indicates that the oil is too hot.

•Always keep a pot lid on the stove; if your pan catches fire, immediately cover the pot with the lid, turn off the burner and let the pot cool down.

If you follow these tips, you’ll be able to cook without worrying about the danger of fire breaking out.

Electrical System

Electrical fires usually happen as a result of faulty wiring or an outlet being overloaded. If you plug an appliance device with a defective cable into an outlet, it might spark and may cause a fire. Make sure that your home’s wiring has been checked out by a professional electrician, especially if you live in an older house. Do not plug power into a circuit that is more than its capacity

If you’ve tried to plug in one too many holiday lights, switched on a vacuum, or cranked up a space heater only to have the lights suddenly shut off, you’ve created an electrical overload.

A visible sign of an electrical circuit overload will cause the breaker to trip shutting off all the power. Other signs can also be noticed to the following:

•Dimming lights.

•Buzzing outlets or switches.

•Outlet or switch covers that are warm to the touch.

•Burning odors from outlets or switches.

•Scorched plugs or outlets.

•Power tools, appliances, or electronics have no sufficient power.

Buzzing sounds and burning smells can also indicate other wiring problems, such as loose connections or short circuits. If any of these problems continue after you’ve taken steps, contact an your property management office and request an electrician.

Heat Sources

Home heaters can cause a fire if fabrics are left too close to the heaters. Always follow the instructions when you use a heating device. Inspect it before using and make sure it is in good condition. Electrical space heaters may also cause fire, especially if the electrical wiring in the heater is faulty. Never leave your home with a space heater running.

 

Posted by: ystikeleather1 on July 6, 2019
Posted in: Uncategorized